If fresh mountain air and wildflowers call your name, this news is your jam. For the first time EVER in its 80-year history, Alta is opening for summer with lift-served hiking to Albion Basin, on-mountain dining, live music, and educational events all summer long. And the wildflowers are in bloom now, so it’s the perfect time to visit! Alta’s wildflowers are some of our favorite in the state; don’t miss seeing them in person before they wilt.
Lift-served Wildflower Hiking
Instead of fighting for one of about 30 parking spots in Albion Basin to see the wildflowers, park at Alta and take the Sunnyside Lift and start your forest amble from there. Here are the details:
- Sunnyside chairlift is open June 30-September 3 on weekends and holidays. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for kids. Buy yours inside Albion Grill.
- Mountain hosts stationed at lift top and bottom can answer questions.
- This is a pilot program with the Town of Alta and the Forest Service to keep crowds at bay while maintaining access to Albion Basin.
- Parking in Albion Basin from the summer road is now $6 per car.
- Anyone can hike into Albion Basin for free from Alta’s base area.
Dining & Coffee
Follow your hike with a cold craft brew and locally-sourced food at Albion Grill–open daily from June 30 to September 3. Hours are 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on holidays/weekends and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays.
Perk up with a coffee or Suzie’s special at Alta Java, open weekends and holidays. On the weekend, class up your dining with Alta Lodge’s Saturday lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. or Sunday Brunch from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Music on the Mountain
Catch tunes on the mountain every summer Saturday and holidys with their Mountain Music event. Snag a patio seat at Albion Grill and listen from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. while taking in views of Mt. Superior. Albion Basin’s full food and drink menu will be available during concerts.
Learn and give back at events hosted by the Alta Educational Center throughout summer. Activities range from weed pulls to bird shows and are wonderful ways to enjoy Alta in a new way. Come for the HawkWatch Bird of Prey Showor go for a hike at the Wasatch Wildflower Festival on Saturday, July 28. See you there!