- 5 of Utah’s Best-Kept Outdoor Secrets
- The Godmother of the Wasatch Backcountry
- 8 Iconic Winter Dinners Along the Wasatch
- Frosty Fun in Grand County, Colorado
- Pursuit of Powder
- A Goblin Valley Winter Escape
- Resort Report | Late Winter 2018
- Starting Line
- From the Editor | Late Winter 2018
- Late Winter 2018 | Digital Magazine
- This event has passed.
Intro to Map and Compass Navigation – Field Class
August 13, 2016 @ 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Registration required / Space is limited! In this field class you’ll learn to read map contour lines and translate them to the actual terrain. With your compass we’ll teach you about magnetic north, true north and declination. Then we’ll put it all together to pinpoint your location and plan your route. During this field outing, we’ll help you see three dimensions of the land in the two dimensions of a topographic map by teaching you how to read contour lines, landmarks and other map features. We’ll also talk about magnetic north, true north, and magnetic variation (declination), and help you make sense of it all. From there, you’ll learn how to take a bearing from the terrain and your map so that you can triangulate your position and plan a route. Maps and compasses will be provided. Class size limited to 8 participants.